tisdag 18 september 2012

Back in Black from from Beijing to Gotland

Back in Black I was always on the move
over the rack.
I didn't have to cruise cause I just flew.
Whose that, could it be... yes it's me.
Don't squint your eyes
cause I am here I am there, I am everywhere.


I haven't been so good at keeping up with the writing and with everything that has been going on so I decided to combine my trip to China with the one to Gotland in Sweden.














I've been to China a few times mostly to Beijing but I have also travelled around to other places like Shanghai and the yellow mountains.  I remember when growing up China seemed like it was on another planet and everything that sounded or looked strange to my friends and I was from China. It's amazing to think I feel at home now when I get to Beijing and that there are so many people from all over the world learning Chinese and settling down there. It's a big difference from Sweden cause there are billions of people to talk to (or try talk to) and everywhere you look there is something interesting happening, a fight that no one tries to stop until those fighting have reached a split second from killing each other. Vendors selling all sorts of products on the street from fruits to shoes and roasted nuts and toys that may last a week or two if your are lucky. The only place you have to escape to for a brief moment alone is your inner self. Visiting Beijing not only makes you appreciate solitude but clean air, sun rays and tap water you can drink.


























The downside of my trip was something I dread when I travel to many places. The fact that I am black, young and carry a South African passport gives me a difficult time when I am passing through immigration in Asia particularly, which shocked me because I thought the Europeans would be more suspicious of me. Yet even after paying thousands for a visa to China and having to provide sufficient proof of my funds and student registration when I got there they still questioned me and not the other lighter skinned people. They just hauled in all the Africans, Arabs and South Americans.


























Besides all the shopping one can do there I struggle to understand how I can feel comfortable and enjoy staying in the concrete jungle. I don't have an appreciation for modern high rise buildings nor standing in the tallest building at night and looking down at the rest of the world through the eyes of the neon coloured lights that blind us from seeing the inequality that lies below. It's funny to think that the higher you go the less you see.
But after analysing my feelings more I think the reason I love going to Beijing is that you don't have to search for something to do or people to be with. There is always something to get yourself lost in, be it sight seeing, shopping, eating out go carting or dancing and not only is everything affordable you could easily go out alone and come back having made friends and having had an adventure with strangers.



































Food in China is quite affordable but one should keep in mind the cheaper it is the dirtier the kitchen thus the tastier the food. Don't look into the kitchens and don't stare too long at the cooks as the take a breather outside by the pavement as their spitting and filthy uniforms may put you off eating for the rest of your stay. It is defiantly worth it to spend more money on food at least once. It is a tourist attraction in it's self to see how the Chinese perceive and interpret western dishes. 















































































Gotland

Gotland is the land where I learnt that Swedish people aren't as humble as they seem. It also introduced me the pleasures of having a yacht. My view maybe a bit skewed due the fact that I was there during the Stockholm week. The week where all the so called 'brats' and wannabe brats from Stockholm migrate temporarily to the most beautiful place in Sweden during the summer and splurge a lot of money on
expensive alcohol. It's mostly bottles of moet that people drink straight out of the bottle so you don't mistake it for some cheap sparkling wine like Bonnaire. There are parties popping up everywhere and one does wonder how the locals survive during this week.

The locals are genuinely friendly and it is really sober smiles everywhere you go. There are a more than a couple of breathtaking views on cliffs looking down to the small town of Visby and to the sea. Many people choose to bike around  everywhere they go and it gets a bit annoying when people who aren't used to riding bikes in the city ride around in big groups.

Never the less Gotland has been my favourite place in Sweden so far. It feels like you are in the Mediterranean and I am not sure if it is because the warmer weather but everyone is happier and you can feel that there is life all around you. There were a couple of theatre performances going on in the numerous small towns around Visby and for those who like to dance one can jump from club to club without being disappointed.

Wear comfortable shoes and spend more time eating the great lamb dishes and saffron pancakes while taking in the beautiful scenery. It's a great place for photography but don't let life pass you by with your on the lens. with that said let me look for photos to post!

















Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar