fredag 1 juni 2012

MERHABA TURKEY !!!!



While sitting by my desk and drinking a cup of Turkish tea I can't help but think of the unforgettable week I had in Turkey. I had the privilege of staying with my friend and grandmother in Ankara and attending her henna night and wedding. We then spent two days in Istanbul to round off an experience that had left me feeling that Turkey is a place you really need at least a month to fully explore.



In Ankara I learnt that Turkish people are very patriotic and that they love Mustafa Atatürk like the Thai love their King and more than the world loved Michael Jackson. The biggest flags can be seen flying anywhere you look and be rest assured every Turkish family has a flag to stick on their windows or balconies on a national holiday. I also learnt that Turkish people are as loud as Brazilians and have big family ties like we do in Africa.



























My friend’s wedding, which was an averaged sized wedding had about 200 guests compared to Swedish weddings that have a handful of people, not that I have ever been to a Swedish wedding but from what I have gathered I imagine so. I admire the respect they have for their elders but I do think it was taken to the extreme at Arlanda airport when we had to wait for about twenty senior citizens on wheel chairs to board the plane before we could go on. They sat in their wheel chairs with so much pride while they passed us as if they had just come back with medals after fighting in a war of independence. It wasn't surprising to see them walking quite capably after we collected our luggage at the Esenboga airport.





Henna night
























Being in Ankara felt like a meeting point between South Korea and Egypt and that was probably because of the large population and the loud calling/singing from the mosques. Almost everywhere you look there are building or renovating buildings and it is a bit sad because so many apartments don't make any place look too homely. Notwithstanding if you look at a distance from a high building you can see the beauty of the untouched land and undulating green hills that the city of Ankara is built on. Having said that Ankara is a calm and big city that would be nice to live in compared to the more beautiful Istanbul. Actually on second thoughts I don't think I would mind living in the outskirts of Istanbul, it would be worth the commute knowing the variety of treats the city has in wait for you. Ankara has an assortment of Cafés that provide entertainment for the more laid back Ankara people, you find play station Cafés, water pipe, card and board game Cafés and some for older men to just chill and relax throughout the day.





I didn't spend so much time in Istanbul but it was enough to make me fall in love with the city. I regret not having read more about the history of Turkey before going there cause there are some places you may visit such as the Basilica Cistern that are so ancient, as are most buildings in Istanbul, and feel so sacred that you feel as if a Roman God will just manifest itself in front of you. I did however find the older buildings away from the tourist areas more capturing because they show a purer picture of the story the city has to tell.





Basilica Cistern




Medusa




















Hagia Sophia Church turned Mosque turned museum







































Do eat everything you can get your hands on. You can try a new dish for every meal. I loved staying with a Turkish family because I got to eat unspoilt modernised food. The amount of olives we ate didn't surprise me but I was shocked to find out how much cheese they ate. If you want to develop a good taste for Turkish food have ayran with your meals and if you are low on cash fear not there are some cheap meals such as the wet burger ( it doesn't sound too good but it tastes better than any burger I’ve ever bought at a fast food place).














































































Turkish Coffee and other food I had....mmm don't remember what it was all called 


If you are going to Turkey and you love shopping make sure you have enough money and that you have a solid idea of what you want to buy. There were so many Turkish brands and clothes for all walks of life. Definitely wait until you find sales cause it is always worth it and if you are patient you are bound to run into some or opt for the outlet stores or grand bazaar. For the ladies, make sure you have some smart clothes cause the Turkish women really know how to dress and take time working on their appearance.


Grand Bazaar




The beauty of any country is in its landscape and people and in Turkey I give both a 10. Not because of the numerous gifts I got from everybody or the great Turkish music and dancing we did at the wedding but because during my full stay there, there was never a dull moment, there was so much to take in from the daily life that I wished I has two pairs of ear and eyes.











Travelling in style to one of the many palaces 





Talk about Luxury buses Ankara- Istanbul



So many stray cats around this one loved pictures and was just short of putting a cup  for money in front of it




Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar